An introduction to this project and would you like to contribute?

As many Italian lawyers know, having a knowledge of English is becoming essential to the practice of law in Italy. Indeed, in Milan it can be difficult to find a job as a lawyer unless you know English and/or other languages.

I recommend that you look at the list of links on the right, as you will already find some essential resources.

If you want to know when new articles are added to this blog, subscribe to the RSS system here: Post (Atom)

If you would like to become a contributor to this blog and you are an Italian or foreign lawyer working in Italy, or dealing with Italian legal issues, then email me at: lawblog at englishisin dot com. I would prefer articles in English, but I will also accept posts in Italian if I consider that they reflect the character of this site.

If you do write in English, I will correct any mistakes you may make, so you can improve your writing skills. If you want me to, that is.

Anyone can now leave comments on this blog, so please do.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday 4 July 2007

Shall - a horrible little word, legally speaking.

The word 'shall' is often used in legal documentation. Or, I should say that the word 'shall' is often misused in legal documents.

'Shall' means 'have a duty', an obligation to do something. But in legal documents the real meaning of the word 'shall' can become confusing. In various court cases 'shall' has been held to mean: may, must, will and is (Source: Legal Writing in Plain English, Bryan A Garner).

When you draft a legal document, avoid 'shall'. Do not use this misleading word. Use, instead, 'must' for obligation and 'may' to indicate that someone can decide to act or not. Note that in contractual documents, 'will' is more often used than 'must' to express obligation. (Although 'must' is much clearer, in my considered opinion.)

You have been warned. You shall obey.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Dear Alex

As an editor at a law firm, the (mis)use of shall is the bane of my life. However, I'm not sure your blog covers all the pitfalls and dangers; not only of shall but also of using the alternatives you list.... what about conditions? what about future facts? I'm also not sure that I would advocate deleting shall entirely. It does have its uses does it not?

Alex said...

Hi Jo,

The post on 'shall' is very brief - and I know it can be used correctly. As you know though, not many people (including lovable lawyers) really know how to use the word correctly.

How about you giving me some examples, in a legal context, of the usage of 'shall' for conditions and future facts? Clear examples which are unlikely to cause judges headaches.

Over to you.

Best,

Alex